Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘window quilts’

I have been trying to do a little bit of work every day on my sewing/quilting projects.

I finally finished all 9 blocks of my “starter” project and assembled them. Now the quilt top is waiting for the next stages, which I need to learn to do. So to teach myself how to attach the borders, assemble the layers of the quilt (top, batting, and backing), quilt it, and bind it, I’m working instead on my “window quilts” or insulated curtains. I figure it makes more sense to learn these somewhat tricky steps on a plain piece of curtain fabric rather than on a pretty quilt top that I’ve worked hard on.

So this week I cut the fabric for the curtains and then cut border strips as if it was a “real” quilt, and today taught myself how to do borders with Mitered Corners:

curtain

corner

The curtain measures 60 inches wide by 36 inches “tall” and is the first of a pair I’m making for the two windows in the den. The curtain fabric is some I bought in Reading many years ago, and the borders are fabric that silly_imp gave me from her fabric stash a while back.

So far so good, though it’s slow going since I only tend to spend an hour or so on it, 3 or 4 times a week. At this rate I figure I may have the two window quilts for the den finished by Christmas… and then I’ve got a whole list of other projects waiting their turn:

  • Quilted curtains for the guest bedroom – squares are cut for this one
  • A pieced (but not quilted) duvet cover for the guest bedroom, made mostly out of old sheets
  • And, of course, finishing the first project, which will probably end up as a simple (but pretty!) wall hanging
  • Read Full Post »

    Quilting progress

    I’m finally making some time to work on my sewing/quilting projects. My first project, which is going to be a quited wall hanging in “Wandering Star” blocks now has 4 completed blocks, and the squares pieced for 3 more:

    I think it looks quite pretty, even though my corners don’t meet up very well. I’m learning a lot about what I need to do to improve my accuracy, though, which is the whole point of this project. I think once it’s done I’m going make a dowel-rod style hanger for it. and hang it on the hooks of the shelf that Carolyn gave us for our housewarming, in the guest bedroom. I think it will look nice with the blue carpet and green walls not to mention the purples in the Monet print in that room.

    Project #2 is going to be quilted curtains (or “window quilts”), also for the guest room. I’ve started cutting the squares for a simple “Nine Patch” set of blocks, using fabric that I bought ages ago in the UK for various projects in my house in Reading. I laid out some of the squares to make sure that the pattern in my head would actually work, and I think it does:

    In it’s previous life, the blue checked fabric was my bathroom curtains, the green checks was the curtain on the pantry that I built in one corner of the kitchen, the blue with the green and blue pattern was a dining room table runner, and the plan blue was a large piece of fabric I used as a futon cover for my living room sofa. I plan to use old bedsheets for the backing, and possibly also for the batting. My plan for the batting is a sandwich of old flannel sheets and mylar reflective film (aka. an “emergency blanket”) to keep the cold out and the heat in overnight.

    When I’m in town next Tuesday, I need to remember to bring a couple of squares with me so that I can buy the right colour thread.

    Read Full Post »